Below is a summary of substantive proposed changes to the Collective Bargaining Agreement. All changes can be found by accessing the full Tentative Agreement.
Article I – Implementation
- Add counselors to recognition
- Clarify coverage of Independent Study teachers, ROC teachers (renaming only), Speech Language Pathologists (renaming only) and Teachers on Special Assignment (TOSA’s) – all district resource teachers will now be classified as TOSA’s
Article II – Salary
- 5% increase back to July 1, 2016
- Increase and retroactive on salary included on December check
- New stipends for additional duties effective on December check but no retro
- Inclusion of a MOU on university credit not meeting accrediting requirements for contact hours
- Continuation of 11-month pay
- Inclusion of language if an employee is underpaid wages or compensation
Article III – Health and Welfare Benefits
- Continuation of current fully district H&W plan for 2016-17
Article IV – Association Rights
- No changes
Article V – Grievance Procedures
- Grievance forms will now be included as an appendix
Article VI – Management Retained Rights
- No changes
Article VII – Transfer and Reassignment
- Clarification that administrators, counselors, CTE teachers, Discovery teachers, Kern Learn Teachers, and TOSA’s whose positions are eliminated get placed on the involuntary transfer list.
- Language that provides for right of first refusal for an involuntary transfer if their position is restored within two subsequent years.
Article VIII – Leaves of Absence
- Inclusion of certificated employee absence slip as an appendix
- Inclusion of new child bonding leave to sub deduct status per Ed Code 44977.5. This leave is available to mothers and fathers.
Article IX – Hours and Professional Responsibility
- Clarification of hours and prep time for all job classifications
- Clarification that adult school contract teachers, counselors, Kern learn teachers, ROC teachers, and TOSA’s shall not be required to supervise student extracurricular activities – ex. Sporting events, dances etc…
- Inclusion of Counselor extra duty assignments
- Clarification of lunch periods for all employee groups.
- Clarification that special education teachers with an office period and a prep may be assigned to only one period sub per day
- Inclusion of 504 Plan meetings to the IEP four per semester cap before compensation
- Special Ed teachers assigned IEP’s or 504 meeting prior to or after school compensated at the hourly rate
- Speech Language Pathologists assigned to complete assessments and reporting for someone not in their caseload outside of the workday shall be compensated at the hourly rate
- Clarification of length of work year for all employee groups
- Clarification that bank time votes are for all affected unit members
- Clarification that block- schedule votes are for all affected unit members
Article X – Certificated Employee Evaluation Procedures
- Clarification of appropriate forms for evaluation of all job classifications
- Elimination of ten-day requirement to respond to a derogatory comment in personnel file
Article XI – Withholding of Services
- No changes
Article XII – Class Size Renamed to Work Load
- Inclusion of counselor staffing in class size reports
- Requirement for substitute for counselors or Speech Language Pathologists who are absent longer than two weeks
Article XIII – Safety
- No Changes
Article XIV – Learning to Teach and Professional Development Programs
- Clean up language on terminology
- Clean up language on termination of the PAR program
- Inclusion of MOU on Association involvement in the LCAP process
Article XV – Adult School Hourly, Home and Hospital, and Summer School Provisions
- Language on how it is determined when adult school hourly teachers are placed on the certificated schedule
- Inclusion of summer school counselor language
Article XVI – Employee Discipline
- No changes.
Article XVII – Conclusion
- Duration of the agreement is 3 years with reopeners in year 2 and 3.
- See attachments.